Saturday, February 08, 2014

computers and learning curves

 My dad fell in love with computers and their potential early. For years he insisted that the kids would be better, smarter, more in touch with the world if only we too had a pc. I had my doubts, Mary, after all was number one in her class without a computer.
    But at some point, I think it was Mamie's sophomore year, we broke down and got our very first computer. Well, my dad and I did. Don has a marked lack of interest in modern conveniences. He would still be listening to 8 track if I had not insisted he have a CD player.
   Anyway, I figured out how to hook up that first pc all by myself and to this day I am the one who researches the newest computer, schleps it into the house and sets it up. I have figured out all the ins and outs for the most part by myself although things were made noticeably easier when Mary began dating and eventually marrying her computer geek!
   There were  few hiccups along the way of course. For instance, please take my advice when looking up flora and fauna, pussy-willow is ONE word!!!!
     We have struggled with the whole parent control issue as well. Some of my children simply displayed common sense (or blind obedience) and made good computer choices, at least at our house. But I also have had children who were determined to out smart me, to their peril. I have no wish to block sites or check histories or be my kids' myspace and later Facebook friend in order to make sure they navigate the www with the same caution and class they navigate the real world. But such is the thankless role of the parent, I have been forced at times to do so.
    But I have also discovered, somewhat to my surprise, that I love not only, the online world, but also the geeky components of it, the whys and wherefores, the physical and electronic-al and magical qualities of it. I love to research the newest phone, tablet, laptop, or pc. I love to ponder how a Roku works, how to save money by reducing Comcast to the basic channels, by adding inexpensive Hulu+ and Netflix, how does a text message or Skype really work, etc. Although I am neither a gamer nor music person I am even fascinated by the gaming systems and ipods and mp3players.
   I once read a great article that said people under 30 have learned the modern language of computers as a native one but that most of the rest of us come at it as if it is a second languag. Some of us become fluent but many of us live in this translation-confusing no man's land, using our modern electronics to make a call or send off an email, but the rest remains a foreign language for which no amount of subtitles will help.
   Which are you? A native? Or is it all a foreign language to you?
     This morning I am sitting here typing from Julie's 5 year old Macbook. Those Apple products are darn expensive, but her little Macbook chugs along 5 years later as if new. My own cheaper Dells and Lenovas were wonderful pcs but have never lasted longer than 4 years, so in laptops, as in life, you get what you pay for.
   OK I need to put this little Macbook down and get some work done. Later however I will use it to explore new phone technolgies. My phone is up for  in April and I am thinking an Apple phone for the first time. Although I adore my Droid and its android system, which I also have on my Galaxy tab3 is very intuitive.  Also our incredible Dell pc (that we got when Matt's game company went out of business, before he switched to Bungi, makers of Halo) is fading after 6 years.  I should begin researching  a new pc. I could care less about shoes, clothes, cars, and other trappings of the modern world, but my online world and how I access it, is endlessly fascinating to me.

No comments: