Tuesday, April 19, 2011

charleston south carolina

I am sitting all by myself in the midst of the historic district, in a small shady park. Don is inside the old historic society building researching good old Erastus. I am to be in charge of checking us in when the hotel is ready for us and securing our early evening horse drawn carriage ride through the old city streets. It is lovely here, bright blue sky about 75 five degrees. It is a bit humid but there is also a light breeze.
We ate lunch in a centuries old building at a little cafe called Petticoats. The waistress calls me a Yankee with warm affection as she was once one. I cringe of course but wearing my Red Sox necklace should keep the sobriqet from contaminating me!
During the meal the waitress mentions how surprised northerners are when they come here beacause the place is chock full
If Revolutionary War references and we northerners expect all Civil War stuff. I crack her up when I confide that of course there would be. After all South Carolina helped win THAT war. She bursts into surprised laughter and having decided we were ok people let's us know at the back of the house is a bar and we should stop by for a drink tonight. The bar is called "Bootleggers" Then Donnie is struck with the amused thought that good ole Uncle Erastus was despised here for breaking up boolegging moonshiners.
In the midst of the park is a tall oblisk dedicated to the brave South Carolinians who gave their all during the "War between the states."
The oblisk sits on steps that contain the carved names of southern victorious battles. The top one strikes me "Manassas" it reads. Of course in school I was taught the two battles fought there were "Bullrun."
Erastus suffered his most serious war wound there....the one rendering him incapable of having children.
Next to the Civil War statue, to workman are repairing a George Washington statue. One of the guys is black and I wonder what goes through his mind as he tends all the memorials here...
I am going to wander now and explore the city by myself. It still feels odd to do anything alone, never mind hundreds of miles from home. I feel very brave and grown up.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments: