Wednesday, April 20, 2011

poolside retelling of the days adventures

I've been sitting poolside all alone for a while now. An old hotel dating from the 1850's rises up next to me, its pink stucco walls and white porches (They are called piazzas around here and often run the side length of a building, shady and capturing the breezes, the piazza is typical Charleston).
I cannot get over 80 degrees in April and pool swimming. I practically have it all to myself too, except for a little five yr old redhead and his dad.
This morning we discovered our breakfast included did not mean free......ggggggrrrrr. This has happened before and normally I have every scrap of paper with me but this trip we have tried to travel light. Aggravated we headed into toast and did have a lovely breakfast......I tried grits and they were tasty.
Donnie then headed off to find the Piggly Wiggly looking for water bottles, fruit and peanut butter for lunches. Turns out it was a long long long walk to and from - poor guy we probably shoulda just lunched out but darn it we already had to pay for breakfast.
Yesterday in my solo wanderings I found a L'il Crickets which is their version of a Cumbys or 7 11. Inside I found jelly and bread but not so much as an apple! I also grabbed plates and napkins and the old drunk guy behind me was very humored that a Yankee would travel all the way to Charleston for a picnic of pb @ j. I swear that scruffy old guy is in every Cumbys buying scratch tickets. North south they r all the same.
This morning after Don's Piggly Wiggly adventure he explored the Slave Mart museum with me before he headed back to Erastus research.
The museum is well done, a sobering look at a horrific past. Its kinda nice to think of all that Dons ancestor did to help end such a tragedy.
All my ancestors every blessed one of them were toiling as poor Irish farmers at the time.
We did pose Don for a photo on the steps of the Mills House Inn. It was around during the 1800s and we have a letter from Erastus who while standing on the steps of the Mills House, was handed an envelope that had a cash bribe to expedite a case he was working on. He took the cash and gave it to the orphanage up the road. I took pictures of both the Inn and the Confederate house which served as an orphanage after the war.
I then tried to get into the dungeon but did not because it required an admission fee darn it. I wandered a out down Rainbow Row and clambered about grave yards. My fav had a water fountain or as we would say "bubbla" amidst the ancient graves. The fountain worked and on the ground in front of it was a Jesus quote about whoever drinks this and eternal life.... so funny like Jesus created the fountain. The best part was watching thristy hot tourists trying to drink without stepping on Christs words. I snapped a picture because my Mary loves her graveyard stuff. Bet she never saw a Jesus bubbla before!
I still cannot find the pink brothel that we were shown during the carriage ride, so I took pictures of the two most likely candidates.
Some how in one of the graveyards I got turned around and ended up lost. Charleston is a peninsula so go too far and u end up at the ocean. The roads are all neatly layed out at right angles too. Still managed to get lost though. Ah well at least I was smart enough today to wear Capri's so no flashing Charleston with my underwear....
Now I sit alone at the pool and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments: