I am sitting outside in the goat pen dry but a little chilled. I am getting to know my birthday presents 2 year old Lunar Eclipse and 2 and a half week old Galaxy. 3 years of careful planning and research right up to this very moment. Of course all the book learning in the world is still not quite the reality. Let me tell you watching mama nurse her baby is better than any article! We picked them up from the little farm in Pembroke where they were both raised. The mother is placid and sweet the little son curious and frisky. Eclipse walked to the van readily enough and climbed up on the board we used as a ramp. She ducked into the dog crate we borrowed ( we will need a larger one for her . Thankfully the family we bought them from could not be more helpful.) Both animals seemed calm enough during the ride and both have been very quiet as they explore their new surroundings. Goats notoriously hate rain and ours are no exception. They have a dry loafing area ( see I even know some goat terminology. I am a real farmer now! ) the area is about 8by16. They will not budge from it to explore their attached paddock apparently until there is no sign of rain. I will keep them confined to this space until they are totally at their ease but after that they will have the loafing area the attached paddock plus a roomy connecting paddock to play in. We still of course have the large back yard fenced in although the dogs hang out there. But it offers them one more place to play (supervised of course. Our Lily will love them but I need to make sure the two younger dogs don't get any ideas). The goats will love the backyard because it has that giantly long low balance beam that they will get hours of enjoyment from.
Initially I thought Galaxy would come trained on the bottle and Eclipse would be comfortable being milked. But she is still nursing her boy totally and I do not have the heart to come between that. The 3 of us will have plenty of time to figure it all out. Meanwhile we are all getting to know one another. The cold rain has probably been a blessing since it has kept away eager visitors and reduced some of the typical neighborhood sounds while they adjust. He is totally relaxed, completely confident with his mom around. She was nervous initially and still goes on the alert at new sounds. But she has been very comfortable around the family( she really likes Nikki and I) and she has been laying next to me peacefully chewing her cud (a sign of contentment in ruminents.) I am sorry if I am going on and on like an obnoxious parent and I hope I am not boring you. But I am so wonderously happy sitting with my new charges. Just imagine in a few weeks, no more running up to Shaws for milk. Plus I will learn how to make goat cheese and creamy fudge ..... it is just so miraculous to me.
Thanks for letting me share my joy. Is it silly that a grown woman is all misty eyed over two little goats and the realisation of a childhood dream
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8
No comments:
Post a Comment